Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Once Again For 10: Rafa at the French Open, First Round

(Sky blue's the limit for Rafa!)

So the French Open is upon us. Two things immediately jump to mind. The first is that Rafa has a good chance to claim the 10th Grand Slam title of his career. The second is that I was actually AT the French Open last year and i STILL have not blogged about my trip to Paris. I have it written in my notes. I have to post it. Not because anyone's really interested in hearing about it a year later, but I said I would do it, and I intend to follow through.

The past few weeks have been crazy for Rafa. He lost the last two tournament finals on clay to Novak Djokovic. That makes four straight tournament final losses for Rafa to Nole, after holding a previous record of 5-0 Final wins in his favor. Novak's unbeaten streak is now an unbelievable 40 (!!!) and he enters the French Open in incredible mental and physical shape. But Rafa has only lost once at the French Open EVER. If Rafa and Nole were to meet in the Final, would he be able to reclaim the momentum? Hopefully Rafa will be there at the end of next week so we can find out.

So here we go with Round 1: Rafa is such a prankster! Trying to give me a heart attack, Nadal decided to go to sets to one down before winning in 5 sets against John Isner 6-4, 6-7(2), 6-7(2), 6-2, 6-4. Really funny, Rafa. Reeeeeally funny. Rafa had never played a 5 set match at Roland Garros before. He'd never even lost a set in the first or second round of the tournament!So this was kinda crazy. Isner's not a slouch of a first round opponent by any means, but if Nadal had lost, it would've been the hugest of upsets. Plus, I would've been emotionally devastated. Seriously, I don't know how I could've dealt with that. Not well, I tell you. Not well.

But luckily, that's not the case! Rafa's still around to fight another day! Hopefully Our Hero will have an easier go of it in the second round. Vamos!

No comments: