Thursday, May 28, 2009

Rafa's Fight For 5: Second Round - Broken Records


Yesterday Rafa scored another victory. Hooray! Nadal got past the No.72 player in the world, Teimuraz Gabashvili (fun name!), in straights sets: 6-1, 6-4, 6-2. This marks his 30th straight victory at Roland Garros, beating Chris Evert's record of 29 successive wins at the French Open! Rafa's trademark response?

“So what?” Nadal said. “(I’m) happy for the record, but in the end happy for the result.”

and...

“I’m very happy about my 30th consecutive win at Roland Garros but [to be honest], I come here to win matches. I’m excited about this record but the important thing here is to play well and to be here [to play the final] on the second Sunday,”

and...

"I played better today than [I did] the first day - won in three sets so that's good and I am happy to be in the third round."

and in continued talk of the pink shirt:

"I knew these colours since the moment some months ago Nike showed us the proposed clothing. I like pink, and I specially like this outfit very much. The whole combination I find it really nice. We wear a lot of pink in Spain and I think it is a nice colour. If you look at my website it is also pink for this tournament."

Next up: 3rd Round action against former No. 1 player, Lleyton Hewitt! Vamos, Rafa!

No comments: