Sunday, September 11, 2011

United States of Rafa 2011 - Semifinals

(Back in the finals again!)

Our Hero, Rafael Nadal will get the chance to defend his 2010 US Open title tomorrow, after defeating no. 4-seed Andy Murray in the semifinals on Saturday 6-4, 6-2, 3-6, 6-2. It was a very solid performance from Rafa. I think I only saw a couple points of it while it was unfolding, as I had a lovely wedding to attend just that evening. But I was happy to check the score on my phone once the reception was in full swing and saw that Rafa had one. After that shaky first round match, he's really played a fantastic tournament.

So the final will be a rematch of last year's final. Djokovic against Nadal. Ugh. It amazes me that only a year ago I felt GOOD about this match up. Nadal has lost 5 finals to Novak this year, including the Wimby Final. I really hope Nadal can take it to him tomorrow afternoon, but recent history and Novak's unbelievable success throughout the year would suggest that at the very least Nadal is not the favorite to win. That's kinda okay though, Rafa feeds off struggle and feeling like the underdog. I know my guy has it in him. I just hope it translates on the court tomorrow.

I can't believe Novak even made it to the final this year. Somehow, his semifinal with Federer turned out to be a crazy repeat of last year when Federer had match point against Djokovic on his serve and somehow Novak came up with these total go for broke insane shots that landed in and wound up shifting the whole momentum of the match right at the end. I felt so bad for Fed. I wanted him to win!! Hopefully history from last year will continue to repeat itself and Rafa can take another Slam title. I just want him to be able to play his absolute best and if Djokovic still beats him, then there's nothing else that can be done. You just have to say "too good." But despite my pre-match fretting, there's no reason to believe Rafa can't win again. He's a champion. He's playing amazing. Only one match to go. He can get it done. VAMOS!!!!



No comments: