Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Wimbledon Looms, But Asparagus DOOMS!

(I wonder if 47p is a good deal for veggies in England.)

Our Hero, Rafael Nadal, has arrived in England in advance of the upcoming Championships at Wimbledon. He posted the above picture to his FB fanpage. He's shopping at a local grocery store for lots of fresh and healthy foods! What does it say about me that my first reaction was "Ay, no! Please not asparagus!" I became a little panicked that Rafa might be seeking out my most hated of foods. Don't do it, Rafa! That vile weed will do nothing for you! Luckily, upon inspection, there is no asparagus in view in the bins. Such a relief! We can't see in the cart, but I feel confident there's none in their either. Ugh, asparagus. It seems like much more of a Djokovic kind of vegetable.

The other thing that stands out for me in this picture is the people coming down the aisle towards him with their carts. What would I do if I came across Nadal in a grocery store? What if in the run up to the US Open I came across Rafa in my local Key Food? I'm pretty sure I would run away. History has shown that when I'm within several feet of Rafa, I lose all ability to make sound. Not only can I not shout simple words like "Rafa! Vamos Rafa! Te adoro!" I can't make any sounds at all. Not even a "Wooooh!" type of cheering noise. I just go completely silent. I have problems, I know, I know. But I just couldn't come face to face with him with a shopping cart full of lean pockets. I just couldn't.

Wimbledon starts so soon! I will be taking tennis lessons during Wimbledon this year and hopefully using Rafa's continued success as my inspiration! Vamos!

No comments: