Saturday, March 5, 2011

A Year Without Cookies - Week 9

(A cookie by any other name would smell as sweet.)


"When is a cookie not a cookie?"


This is the question I kept posing to myself this week. The kitchen at the office was stocked with delicious-looking milano cookies. I wanted to stuff my face with them. Milanos are only 180 calories 10 grams of fat, and 11 grams of sugars for a 3 cookie serving size.But who can be expecting to eat just three cookies? Maybe 3 cookies per handful as you've cramming them into your mouth, but a serving is closer to three bags than it is three cookies. I had to stay away from them. I thought maybe if I called them something other than cookies I could get away with it. You know like fig newtons are fruit and cake? Maybe Milanos were just chocolate and... vanilla wafer? But it says "cookies" right on the packaging, so I couldn't get around it. Also later in the week a co-worker offered me a piece of a giant chocolate chip cookie and I was like "well, it's not the WHOLE cookie... i could just break off a piece of that cookie that would be normal cookie size and still only qualify as a TASTE of cookie. But I didn't do it. I remain cookie and soda free. My inner strength is a staggering achievement.

The dreams about soda have returned. I thought I was over this after a few weeks of not having them, but then I started dreaming about root beer again. It's so disorienting! I feel like I can taste the sweetness in my dreams, and then when I wake up I really have to convince myself i have not wandered to my fridge in the middle of the night and started drinking the soda left over from my Runaways party straight from the bottle. Soda levels in the bottle indicate I have not actually done this. Thank goodness. I do not want to become a sleepdrinker.

Next week we enter double digits! I'm so excited for this. I don't even know why. But I'll see you there!

No comments: