Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Dream Fed Returns

Last night I had another dream about Roger Federer. It was not like last time when he was screaming at me. This time he was my best friend and we were at summer camp. We were playing double's tennis on a court that was inside our bunk house. At one point we made out with these blonde girls in the next bunk over. It was such a cool dream even though I don't remember a lot of it now. I only remembered I had it at all just a moment ago. I don't know why Roger popped up in my dreams again. Nor do I know why we keep playing indoor racket sports together. Why is this recurring dream imagery? What does it MEAN?



I never got to post about how happy I was that Federer lost to Del Po in the US Open final earlier this month. It's not that Fed wasn't deserving, it's just nice to see someone new win every once in a while. It's nice to see someone win their 1st major title. And it's nice to know that there's someone other than Rafa out there who can beat Fed in a final. It just makes the sport more interesting this way. I don't think Fed is done winning major titles but it's good to have more names in the conversation of who can win a main event. This year was the first year since 2003 when no men's champion successfully defended their Slam title, and I think that made for some really memorable tennis. All four Grand Slam Finals were for the ages (The French more for Fed's breakthrough on clay and completing the Career Slam rather than the match itself, but still that's pretty major.)


But back to the dream. Fed and I were such great friends! And then I woke up and I had to accept that it wasn't true. Dream friendships can be so bittersweet. I think it's a worse feeling than when you dream of a bad fight with someone you DO know, and then the whole next day you're inexplicably mad at them or suspicious of their behavior. At least in that situation reality can reinforce that your friend is still there and still cares about you. In the "dream friends" situation, reality can only reinforce that something good you felt isn't based on anything. I think it's a terrible cheat.



Also... maybe I'm too hard on Fed when I'm awake. Maybe I should try to be more supportive out of respect for our dream friendship. In case he shows up again in Dream World, I want him to know that in reality I had his back.

No comments: