Thursday, August 6, 2009

Rafa Returns!

After being sidelined for two and a half months due to his knee injury, Rafael Nadal is coming back to the tour next week at the Masters Series tournament in Montreal. The event begins August 10th. I'm already equal parts very excited and very nervous. Questions swirl in my head. What kind of condition will he be in? Will he be the punishing player we know and love? I feel like the sport of tennis needs its Rafa. As amazing as the final between Roddick and Federer turned out to be at Wimbledon this year, the tournament as a whole really missed his presence in the draw. He brings so much to the game and it will be great to have him back. I really hope he is at 100% and can continue his style of dominating play. I hope he stays healthy the rest of the summer so he has a real shot at the US Open title. I want him to win it so badly! The hardcourts are the most punishing surface on the legs though, and will not help Rafa in his hyper-physical approach to tennis. But I'll be cheering for him as loud as possible. Vamos, Rafa! Here's a clip of him talking about fishing... i don't know why. Ask the US Open advertising people.

No comments: