Saturday, May 11, 2013

Well played, Tommy Haas!

(This trophy looks designed to easily fall off a mantle and kill somebody. German engineering!)

I know this happened a week ago and since that time, we have had a totally crazy and exciting Masters 1000 tournament in Madrid (Novak upset! Federer Upset! Ferrer so-close-and-yet-so-far against Nadal once again!) but I have to give props to my man Tommy Haas who won the BMW Open for the first time in his 10th attempt last Sunday, beating defending champ Philipp Kohlschreiber 6-3, 7-6 (3). It win the first all-German final in Munich in 48 years! It's Haas' 4th title on home turf, after previously winning twice at Halle and once at Stuttgart. Persistence in this case has paid off! Respect must be paid!

This is Tommy's 14th ATP Tour title overall and I really respect his dedication to the game and is hunger and his fitness level at this late point in his career. He's pretty much the only person on tour who is older than me who is still competitive to win tournaments! When he retires, that will be it. It will all be young-uns. I have been following tennis for a very very long time...

But clearly he's still not done, so I don't have to completely freak out about it yet! Congrats Tommy! Keep up the good fight this season (unless you're playing Rafa, then you must lose)!

No comments: