Tuesday, August 27, 2013

RAFA-RIPPED OPEN: Round 1 - Nadal d. Harrison


(he's baaaaaack!)

The US Open is back Ladies and G's! The tournament is not barely a day old and already Our Hero, Rafael Nadal has punched his ticket into the second round with a convincing win over Ryan Harrison from the US. It was a "straight sets, no threats" victory 6-4, 6-4, 6-2. Rafa looked great and played great. What more can we ask for?

Usually, I get a little sad to see American players lose early, but I've never been a big fan of Harrison. I don't like how he comported himself at the London Olympics when he was losing. I thought it was beneath the occasion of the Olympics. Since that time, including his post-match interview on Monday, he's had better composure, so I can see myself getting over it in the future, but for right now  I am okay with Rafa knocking him out as early as possible.

Having just won Montreal and Cincinnati back to back and regained the No. 2 world ranking, Rafa is still firing on all cylinders. In the very first game, Rafa set the tone by returning the most insane overhead shot from way outside the doubles line to produce a winner. See for yourself in the video below.


Crazy, right? He's telling Harrison. "I'm returning ALL your shots." Rafa got the early break right from the beginning and never looked back. Next up he either gets Pospisil, or Silva in round 2. They spread Round 1 out over three days so I never really understand when Round 2 is actually going to happen. Plus we intermittent rain this week in NYC so who knows how the schedule will be affected.

I'm looking forward to Rafa making a very deep run here this year, and I'm hoping he can win the tournament. I'll be rooting for him all along the way. VAMOS!

No comments: