Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Rafa Down Under: Aussie Open Quaterfinals

Oh, Rafa. This was the worst of all outcomes. Not the loss. You win some, you lose some. I didn't have the best feeling going into this match against Murray anyway. But to end in injury? Ugh, that's the worst. I feel so bad for him, and of course wish him a speedy recovery.

Rafa played really well in the first two sets, even though he lost both of them 6-3 and then 7-6. It was worth getting up at 4am to watch the match live. The 6-3 set was a lot closer than it looks, with Rafa having many chances to break on Murray's serve. Murray just played the big points better and was able to end up ahead. The second set was closer, but Rafa still had break chances on which he couldn't capitalize. He hurt his knee in the second set tie-break and after going down 3-0 in the third, Rafa could go no further.

Afterwards, Rafa was upset, but remained optimistic. "I didn’t have lot of problems for the last six months,” Nadal said in a news conference. “And today is the first time. I felt something which I think is a bad movement. But is not because the knee is tired or has been a bad movement or gesture. No, I think it’s going to be OK.”

Rafa is an amazing athlete with the heart of a true champion. He has my full support for success in the rest of the season and I hope he recovers soon. As for the rest of the tournament, I'm hoping for a Federer-Murray final, and it would be nice to see Murray win his first Major. He's Rafa's pick to win too. We'll see what happens.

No comments: