Saturday, July 25, 2009

This Blog Is A Battlefield


I know this song "Battlefield" has been out for a while now. Jordin Sparks performed it on Idol back in the Spring. It's obviously inspired by Pat Benatar's classic, "Love Is A Battllefield." How could it not be? Sparks' song asks a question that was answered by Benatar's song TWENTY-SIX YEARS AGO. The reason love always feels like a battlefield, is because love IS a battlefield. It's as simple as that. But, you know, despite some minor annoyance on my part at Ms. Sparks riding some Benatar coattails to a massively successful single, I was going to let it go without a public denouncement. Sure I love the Benatar, but let Jordin have her moment. It's also not wholly unfun to walk around one's apartment shout-singing "Battlefield! Battlefield!" in falsetto after hearing Ms. Sparks's song.

But then... this morning, while I was readying laundry, Ms. Sparks happened to be making an appearance on VH1's Top 20 Video Countdown, and host Jim Shearer asks her about the obvious connection between the songs. And Jordin was all "oh there are some people say that because "love" and "battlefield" are in the same sentence... but I didn't write the song so I don't know what their inspiration was behind it."

umm......

Jordin. The inspiration behind your song "Battlefield" is the 1983 classic song "Love Is A Battlefield." It's not that the songs sound the same beside those key words in the chorus. And I believe you when you say you love Pat Benatar's work, which is why you sang her songs during your time on Idol. But give me an effing break. Love is A Battlefield! Holly Knight with Mike Chapman should share a writing credit with Wayne Wilkins, Louis Biancaniello, Sam Watters and Ryan Tedder on your tune. I still love you, but let's not pretend we don't know what inspired your current single.

No comments: