Thursday, June 25, 2009

Don't Cry For Him, Argentina



It won't be easy, you'll think it strange
When I try to explain how I feel
that I still need your love after all that I've done. - Evita


I have been fascinated by the whole Mark Sanford debacle for a week now. For the past several days prior to yesterday's revelation, Rachel Maddow had been talking about how the Governor of South Carolina had seemingly disappeared and no one could reach him. The story went from odd, to really bizarre, to totally preposterous as more details came in. If you followed it like me, you know that his staff kept releasing these statements that made less and less sense. First he was hiking in the mountains and couldn't be reached. Then he could be reached, and they were sure he was fine... but maybe no one had heard from him anyhow. Then it was Father's Day weekend, and his family had not heard from him. His wife didn't know where he was and her statement expressed no real concern for his safety, nor interest in his return. THEN his staff said he was in the Appalachian Mountains and would be back on Wednesday. Each time someone tried to explain what was going on, it became clearer and clearer that whatever WAS going on, it had nothing to do with some 6-day hike alone in the mountains. On top of everything, the craziest aspect of this story for me was - HE IS THE GOVERNOR OF SOUTH CAROLINA! He can't just completely disappear! He has a responsibility to his State to at least tell someone where he is, or pass his power on to the Lt. Governor in case of emergency in his absence. His staff didn't seem too concerned about the possibility of facing an emergency in the Governor's absence. Um, guys? A destructive event that you cannot predict, yet have to react to quickly is what makes it AN EMERGENCY! You're not supposed to try and figure out who ha authority AFTER the emergency is upon you! Ugh. That's the part I really find totally baffling. What were these people thinking??

So it turns out that Sanford is having an affair with some Argentinian lady. Everyone around him was shocked. I was not. I actually felt bad for him during the totally inept press conference he gave yesterday, because it seemed like he really was torn up about the situation he created for himself and doesn't know what to do with his feelings. I don't care about his feelings or his stupid love emails that were sent to the press months ago. The only parts of this I really care about are his abandonment of the people of South Carolina to take a trip without telling anyone where he was. It makes no difference to me if he went to have sex in Argentina or wanted to spend a week by himself at EuroDisney. He can't just up and leave. It's absurd that he thought he could - or should. For this boneheadedness alone he should resign.



Have I said too much?
There's nothing more I can think of to say to you.
But all you have to do is look at me to know
That every word is true.


If that's not enough of a reason for him to resign, perhaps he should consider his extreme political hypocrisy. When Bill Clinton and Larry Craig (to name just a few) faced sex scandals he thought THEY should resign. It's what he said he hoped he would do, if he were to find himself in that situation. Also, I'm totally fed up with public officials who are SOOO concerned with denying committed monogamous homosexual couple equal marriage rights under the guide of "protecting the sanctity" of heterosexual marriage, and then they go off and break their own marriage vows. Give me an effing break. Who are people like Sanford to judge other people's ability to marry? Republican family values bullshit needs to finally crawl into some back alley and die. It's so fake, and it corrupts people's genuine desire to see strong stable families by demanding you can only achieve that one way. It's not true! It's not even true for the people who are promoting it politically. Enough is enough. Stop the insanity.

Here's a link to a Craig Ferguson clip that reflects on the whole Sanford Fiasco. It makes me laugh, so I'm including it here. I think it's totally fair to make fun of the Runaway Governor, because he is a public figure. I do hope that the press and the media give his wife and his children some privacy and respect though. I feel for them as they deal with this very painful and very hurtful situation that Sanford caused. I'm still baffled as to why he chose to handle things in such a bizarre fashion.