Monday, May 11, 2009

Marry Me, New Star Trek Movie!


OMG. I love this new Star Trek Movie!!! They always say love comes to you when you're not looking for it. I was not looking to love this new movie. I was hoping to enjoy it. That was all. I grew up loving the original series in re-runs, and became a devoted fan of the Next Generation in it's third season. I've followed DS9 and Voyager, but I didn't have much love for Enterprise or the last few movies. The whole thing needed a reboot, some new blood and some fresh ideas. So after a few years off the radar, in walks this new film simply titled "Start Trek." I liked what I saw from the trailers. I was very impressed with the comic prequel. All advanced word on the film was not only positive, but brimming with excitement. Despite all of this, my inner trekkie refused to really go into fanboy overdrive - I've been wounded before by my favorite sci-fi franchise. Still, I was looking forward to the movie and had a big goofy grin on my face as the lights went down in the theater and the world of Star Trek literally exploded onto the screen.

This is by far the best of the trek movies. Khan through Voyage Home are very enjoyable and have their merits, but this is the most vital theatrical trek experience I have had. I am super glad I managed to stay spoiler-free going into this movie. There were so many shocking twists to established lore that each one is still sorta exploding in my brain. I will be revisiting each change in its own post, as I need time to process the changes and also see the movie again!

I can't tell you how good it feels to be in love with Star Trek again. I didn't think it was missing from my life. It was. And now it's back! WOOOO-HOOOO!!I loved the cast. I loved the action. I loved the comedy. Quinto, Pine, Saldana, Cho, Yelchin, Pegg - they are all so good! Karl Urban is both DeForest Kelly AND Bones at once! Crazy! Oh it's the best thing ever. I'm in love. I'll be talking about this one for a long time to come. Live long and prosper, movie franchise! I'll be seeing you in IMAX soon enough!

1 comment:

NoddyMonkey said...

When are you going to see it in IMAX? I'll come!