Sunday, March 29, 2009

Strong to the Finish


I wanted to give a special shout out to the guys over at Sailor Man. My good friends Peter Cook and Scott Peterman, and fellow awesome people Ryan Iverson and Lauren Blumenfeld, for creating the spectacular blood-fest known as Sailor Man. Sailor Man had a run in the Fringe Festival last summer and has enjoyed a nice Off-Broadway run this year. I had been wanting to see it for such a long time, but was being a lazy-ass when it came to actually putting it in my schedule. Part of the problem of some long-running shows is that you always think you'll find time to see them later and then somehow you miss them altogether. I was determined not to let that happen this time! I almost fell into the trap, but I did manage to see it on it's final weekend. I am super glad that I did. The show is basically three vignettes chronicling the tortured relationship between Popeye, Bluto and Olive. They basically meet and start beating the crap out of each other. They throw everything they have at each other and it's awesome. There is much bloodletting. There are punches, of course, but also bricks, bottles, garbage cans, knives and buckets and buckets of blood. It was really delightful and gory and hilarious. I'm very proud of them for creating something so thoroughly entertaining. I'm sure it's bittersweet for them to see Sailor Man close, but I eagerly look forward to their next project. Bravo, guys.

No comments: