Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Learning to Trust Again: NY Knicks Edition

I am a Knicks fan. It's been this way since elementray schools. I cared little for arguments over Rangers vs. Islanders, Mets vs. Yankees, Giants vs. Jets. The Knicks were the home team worth rooting for. At that point, Riley was the Coach and Ewing was the star. They never won the Championship, but they sure came close once or twice. My favorite era of Knicks fandom are the Jeff Van Gundy years. His sudden mid-season departure way back when, was a huge loss, and every since then it's been downhill for my team.

I can't stand to watch the Knicks lose. It's heartbreaking. There is much screaming at the screen. When i was younger it would take days to recover from a loss. I couldn't look at the newspapers the next day. I cannot watch them if they have a losing record. It is not because I can only support a winning team. It is because it is too emotionally and physically upsetting to watch from that perspective. I can't do that to myself anymore.

The Thomas years, were years spent in Exile from my beloved team. I can't tell you how much I hated his reign of terror. He was like the George W. Bush of Head Coaches, just stubborn and awful and in his own world.

Now that he is gone, and Coach Mike D'Antoni is in there, I have returned to my team. They actually have a winning record 6 games into the season! Who remembers the last time that happened? I'm thrilled to be able to get a chance to really learn the new roster and see what they can come up with. I'm not expecting miracles. I am hoping for the play-offs. Please, don't let me down, Knicks. I am trusting you!

No comments: