Saturday, October 11, 2008

Where have you been all my life, Gatorade Endurance?



Maybe I've written about this before. I don't care. I have to write about it again.

Gatorade Lemon Lime Endurance Formula and I first met during the NYC Half Marathon sponsored by Nike. Every mile or so there are refreshment stations, that usually just have water, but then occasionally they had High Endurance Gatorade. I have traditionally not been a fan of Gatorade. Growing up it was like a poor man's Kool-Aid. It LOOKED like it should be a super-sugary delight but then you'd gulp it down and it would mostly taste like water. It was a huge disappointment. I carried this grudge for many many years and never really drank Gatorade all the often. And I definitely was no big fan of Lemon-Lime flavored anything. But 6 miles in to a 13 mile race, you tend to look for a little variety in your fluids.

Gatorade Endurance Lemon Lime thirst quencher has to be one of the most delicious things I've ever tasted. I love it unconditionally. I thought my connection to it was based purely on the intense circumstances under which we met, but since then, I've had it stocked in my refrigerator and it's the best thing to gulp down after a long run. Or when you're not feeling well and you need an electrolyte pick me up. Or when you wake up at 3am from bad dreams and you need a little something to calm you down. It's the panacea of sports drinks, I tell you.

Sometimes my local Key Food does not stock Endurance Formula Gatorade. It makes me very upset. Sometimes I take for granted that it will always be around and I only buy a few at a time. And then weeks will pass and only regular Gatorade will be on the shelves. I look to the stock guys with plaintive eyes and they do not understand what my problem is. The problem is that I want my High Endurance and will not settle for lesser Gatorades! (though fierce grape is also pretty tasty.)

Luckily today after i completed the first 1/2 of my 20-mile run I went to Key Food and Endurance Formula Lemon Lime was back in plentiful supply on the shelves. I snatched it up off the shelves, while practically drooling all over myself in anticipation. It tastes better than I remembered it to taste. I'm so glad to have it back in stock in my fridge, satisfying my deep down body thirst.

No comments: