Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Closer To Fine

Recently, a BFF pointed out to me that i say, "it's fine" a lot, but that i rarely say it twice the exact same way. I hadn't really thought about it before, but there is some truth to it. Saying "it's fine" has many different layers in it. There are pretty much 9 different sentiments behind those two words. I have articulated them as best I know how and listed them below.

1. It is actually fine!
2. I am accepting this. For now. Don't push it.
3. I am ending this topic of conversation. Do move on.
4. I will eventually be fine with this, so I'm saying it until it is true. Don't challenge me.
5. I want you to feel better about something you did that we both know was colossally stupid.
6. It's not fine, but it's not the right environnment to say otherwise.
7. Either way it goes, the situation at hand does not have a lot of personal weight for me.
8. If I had less self-control i would punch you so hard right now.
9. Yeah, I'm not really listening.

Now this is not a fixed order. Depending on the situation, they get shuffled around as to their levels of importance. That will affect the tone, volume and pitch in my delivery. Check it out next time we have a conversation and see if you can guess which is the dominant sentiment when I'm talking to you. I hope it's not 3 or 9! :)

1 comment:

Grace said...

personally I'd hope its not 8