Wednesday, May 7, 2008

These days are not Glory Days

I'd like to give a shout out of woe to the kids from Glory Days, whose show closed tonight after only one performance on Broadway and across the board bad reviews. I did not have high hopes for this show. The poster wasn't inspiring, and the advertising seemed to really emphasize the youth of the show's creators. It just seemed to scream inexperience. But Circle in the Square is a good theater, and i was willing to let myself be surprised. Unfortunately, my fears would prove to be well-founded. I planned to see the show, but it was not meant to be.

I really don't blame the artists behind the show. The producers should have protected these young people and better cultivated their show. Or not brought it to broadway if it was not the right venue for it, as the times review suggested. This is the fate that could've befallen In The Heights if its producers had not shown restraint and not taken their time to develop the show. If they threw it up quickly in a theater back in 2005, it could've been met with a similar reaction from the public and press. So while I was happy this morning to see they wouldn't be Tony competition for Heights, I'm sad Glory Days closed so soon and in this fashion. It shouldn't have come to this. Take care of young talent, Broadway producers!

No comments: